Wednesday 16 April 2008

You certainly don't choose your family

We are travelling tomorrow to stay with my in-laws for a few days. This used to be a reasonably ok thing to do. They are good with the kids, hubby is happy, I don't have to cook - what's not to like, right? Well, there is always a caveat. In this case it is that the last time I sat down with my MIL and had a conversation she confided in me that she hadn't had sex with the FIL for 18 years, and had been having an affair her entire married life (yes, even on her wedding day - classy or what). Not surprisingly our relationship - at least from my point of view - has suffered slightly. I can't actually bear to be alone with her any more.

I do wonder what the hell she was thinking when she told me all this. What was she actually expecting me to do with the information? Tell my husband? Doesn't she have anyone else she could talk to about it?

At the time I just felt desparately sorry for her being stuck in a difficult marriage, but fairly soon I got angry. And also slightly despairing - here was a relationship I thought was alright, but it is actually a hollow shell. How depressing. Which I guess brings me to my point: this incredibly poorly thought through and selfish act on her part contributed to my illness. I don't think I can forgive her for that.

And now I have to go and make nice with the family or my husband will wonder why I am being mean to his mum. Given that he regards infidelity as the ultimate in unforgivable sins I don't think I will be telling him about this any time soon. Why the hell should I be the keeper of her secrets? I have enough trouble with my own.

No comments: